Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Feel It

By Jana Haemels (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)],
via Wikimedia Commons
Just across the parking lot trains pass two to three times a day. If the train goes by during a worship service, we can hear the warning whistle and the rumble of cars through the stained glass windows.

I like it best when I'm working in my office and the train passes. I hear it and I feel it. The desk top vibrates and the cement, carpeted floor trembles slightly underfoot. If I am talking to someone or walking in the hall, I don't notice the movement. It is only when I'm still.

We just celebrated Pentecost and we enter a season of recognizing the movement of God's Holy Spirit. Encouraged by the story from Acts 2, we look for a sound like the rush of a mighty wind and the appearance of flames above the heads of Jesus' followers. This is how the Holy Spirit will come. Those who followed Jesus were suddenly able to speak in languages that a diverse people understood. There was commotion and joy. At the end of the day, 3,000 came to believe in Jesus Christ.

The train passing by as I read quietly in my office is my reminder that God's Holy Spirit is not that predictable. Sometimes God moves with a roar, dancing flame and commotion. Communities in worship and in service experience the power together. Other times God's Spirit moves in more subtle ways. Things underfoot just tremble a little bit. A conversation blossoms into relationship or tender compassion reaches out in unexpected places. 

Anyway that the Holy Spirit comes is remarkable, but I like it best when in stillness, I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment